Tuesday, 18 August 2026CurrentDeck — Live news signals. Clear context.
CDCurrentDeck
Signal-rich news, source-grounded context
Politics

Andy Burnham says he is not embarrassed by hoax Trump aide messages

Andy Burnham has defended his handling of a text exchange with an impostor posing as Donald Trump's chief of staff, Susie Wiles, insisting he reported it promptly.

Andy Burnham says he is not embarrassed by hoax Trump aide messages
Andy Burnham says he is not embarrassed by hoax Trump aide messages

Andy Burnham's Hoax Message Exchange

Andy Burnham has stated that he is not embarrassed about exchanging messages with someone pretending to be Donald Trump's chief of staff, Susie Wiles. The UK Prime Minister became suspicious after several messages and reported the incident. According to Burnham, there was a minimal exchange of information, and nothing of consequence was discussed. Burnham's comments came after reports emerged on Monday that he had been in contact with an unknown individual pretending to be Wiles. The British embassy in Washington raised the matter with the White House, citing concerns that Wiles' phone had previously been hacked. However, a US official stated that the incident involving Burnham was not related to the hacking. As Burnham said, "No, I'm not, because there was a minimal exchange, nothing of consequence, and actually, quickly I realised that this needed to be reported, and I did so." The Prime Minister insisted that he handled the incident correctly, saying, "I realised that this needed to be reported, and I did so." He also stated that all politicians face similar challenges and pressures, but he did everything right in this case. Burnham added that the correct action has been taken in both the UK and the US to address the incident. This is not the first time a high-profile British political figure has been targeted by an impostor. In 2024, footage of a hoax call was released in which then-foreign secretary Lord David Cameron believed he was speaking to former Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko. The Foreign Office said the perpetrators were "clearly Russian" and made the incident public to pre-empt any effort to manipulate the video. In 2022, then-home secretary Priti Patel and then-defence secretary Ben Wallace were also targeted by hoaxers suspected of working for the Kremlin. Additionally, in 1998, impressionist Jon Culshaw was put through the Downing Street switchboard to then-premier Sir Tony Blair while pretending to be then-leader of the Opposition Lord William Hague. Blair realised instantly that the call was a prank and laughed, saying, "It's quite a good imitation." The incident has raised concerns about cybersecurity and the potential for impersonation attacks on high-profile individuals. The White House has stated that it takes the cybersecurity of all staff very seriously and that this matter continues to be investigated. The FBI had launched an investigation into attempts to access Wiles' phone after an unknown person contacted well-known Republicans and business leaders while pretending to be her. Burnham's exchange with the impostor has also been seen in the context of his efforts to build ties with US President Donald Trump. Shortly before entering Downing Street, Trump described Burnham as the "mayor of a town" and an "extremely liberal" politician. However, Burnham has attempted to establish a relationship with Trump, telling him in a phone call that he hoped to show him "what Manchester had to offer during a visit in the future." Manchester is set to host the G20 world leaders summit in 2027.

Investigation and Aftermath

The investigation into the incident is ongoing, with both the UK and US taking action to address the matter. The British embassy in Washington has raised the incident with the White House, and the FBI is investigating attempts to access Wiles' phone. The White House has stated that it takes the cybersecurity of all staff very seriously and that this matter continues to be investigated. Burnham said, "The correct action has been taken here and in the US." The incident has also raised questions about the potential consequences of such impersonation attacks. While Burnham has stated that nothing sensitive was discussed in the messages, the incident highlights the potential risks of such attacks.

Previous Incidents

The incident is not the first time a high-profile British political figure has been targeted by an impostor. In 2024, footage of a hoax call was released in which then-foreign secretary Lord David Cameron believed he was speaking to former Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko. The Foreign Office said the perpetrators were "clearly Russian" and made the incident public to pre-empt any effort to manipulate the video. In 2022, then-home secretary Priti Patel and then-defence secretary Ben Wallace were also targeted by hoaxers suspected of working for the Kremlin. in 1998, impressionist Jon Culshaw was put through the Downing Street switchboard to then-premier Sir Tony Blair while pretending to be then-leader of the Opposition Lord William Hague. Blair realised instantly that the call was a prank and laughed, saying, "It's quite a good imitation." These previous incidents highlight the potential risks of impersonation attacks and the need for robust security protocols to prevent such incidents. The incident involving Burnham is likely to lead to a review of security measures in place to protect high-profile individuals from impersonation attacks.

Conclusion

The incident involving Andy Burnham and the impersonation of Donald Trump's chief of staff, Susie Wiles, highlights the potential risks of impersonation attacks and the need for robust security protocols to prevent such incidents. While Burnham has stated that he is not embarrassed by the incident and that he handled it correctly, the incident is likely to have implications for the UK's relationship with the US and the potential for future impersonation attacks. As Trump said about Burnham, "I'm sure that he had a miscommunication." The incident serves as a reminder of the importance of vigilance and robust security protocols to protect high-profile individuals from impersonation attacks.
Reporting based on coverage by breakingnews.ie. Additional source material: breakingnews.ie, mirror.co.uk, news.stv.tv, yahoo.com.

Related stories